Saturday, June 5, 2010

kitty, arteest

Check this out - the Australia Project:


It is a website that 'they' have started to capture and promote contemporary representions of national identity. This is fantastic, because national identity is fascinating, fascinating and a subject I have many opinions on.

Anyway, I have submitted piece and it will be in the next upload (and I believe, the traveling exhibition). This is my picture - it is a wall of chewing gum in Camberwell junction that has been growing for years. I think it captures the idea of community and diversity...

Chewing Gum Wall, 3124

This wall of chewing gum has been made by a collection of strangers; age, gender, ethnicity, sexual preference, political persuasion, eye colour, hair colour unknown. It expresses unity and defiance; the silent act of fingerprinting chewing gum onto the wall only to have the Council paint over it again and again. It is a secret war that has played out over years in an alleyway, off a carpark, in a suburb in Melbourne.

My tagline, which makes me smile, is 'artist', used ironically... In the same way national identity is what we say it is, so are individual identities. I'm not an artist but I am if I say I am. I am me because my dog knows me (nod Gertrude Stein). Actually, I think that might mean the opposite, but it's a nice quote.

Anyway, this is my favourite entry.

Kitty x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...