Thursday, June 17, 2010

Introducing... my hero

Wearing the world’s tightest pants, they have haunted me all day... Must limit their wearing to standing situtions (or loose the muffin top)... The worst part (aside from the enforced shallow breathing) is I'm struggling to justify the eating of one chocolate covered marshmallow bar. I am quite convinced eating this would alleviate boredom on this Friday afternoon... The clocks seem to have stopped over, you see.


tick... tock...


Other, less chaffing news, is quite difficult to come by I am afraid. I am in semi-study mode. I'm completing a uni subject to go toward my masters (should I elect to do this), and have to write a 1,000 and 4,000 word essay. I think it's done little more than confirm how much I don't want to study right now. BUT work paid for it, so if I do complete it it's one less subject I have to do in the long run. So, to fill the void, here's a new section I'm calling 'My hero'. What I really want is a section called 'idiots I meet and profile', but this is an attempt to promote a more positive view of the world.

Today's hero is Greg Morteson. I've just read his book Three Cups of Tea. He was a mountain climber, climbing K2 when the climb went pear shaped. He ended up in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere, Pakistan and on leaving promised to return and build a school. He is sort of a bit of a dunderhead in some respects but goes on to build many, many schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan before and after September 11. He is promoting education of children, but in particular of girls - which is far more contentious in a Muslim country (I think this is fair to say). An aside - I've heard this elsewhere - if you educate boys in a village the individual boys beneift but they tend to leave the village. If you educate girls, they stay and build a community around the village and everybody benefits. See The Girl Effect. One of the many thrusts Mortenson's philosophy is that education can promote peace and in some of these areas you need to actually give something people to live for, rather than a cause to die for. Anyway, it's a bit slow moving at times, and there are lots of names of things and people and descriptive stuff, but it is a good read nonetheless.


On that note, peace out.

Kitty x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...