1. Sarah's Key. I know they've made this into a movie now and that reduces its stock somehow, but this is really good. There's a central happening/image that sticks with you once the book is done and dusted (for better or worse). Flicks between France in WWII and the present day.
2. Heartstone by C J Samson. I've spoken about hunchback lawyer Shardlake before, he's brilliant.
3. Ken Follett - Pillars of the Earth and World without End. Tick, tick. I think Pillars comes first. Set in the 1100's and 1300's respectively, these centre on the fictitious small town of Kingsbridge and its priory. Epic historical, my fave.
4. Bossypants. Tina Fey, I heart you. My only gripe is Fey keeps saying she's unattractive which clearly she is not. I can't decide if she is being falsely self deprecating or, as she mentions she was attacked as a child and has rather a large scar on her face, perhaps she thinks she really is unattractive? To be honest, I've never even noticed a scar. Anyway, Bossypants is an interesting read because Fey is a) hilarious and b) outwardly feminist. Interesting article on the portrayal of race and to a lesser extent, feminism on 30 Rock vs. The Office. I thought interesting, anyway.
5. The Book Thief. Slow to get started, but not bad.
And now you? I have a hard copy of Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell to read but I'm seriously having a hard time not reading on my kindle these days. It's just way too convenient. I love the thing. I'm going to buy Freedom by Johnathon Frazen next but I'm not that optimistic - everyone seemed to rave about The Corrections but it was a bit long in the tooth for me.
Anyway, cheerio,
Kitty
1. Along in Berlin - Hans Fallada. Set in WWII in Berlin. Fascinating, very cleaver, couldn't put it down. Do. It.
ReplyDelete2. I am currently reading the The Midwife Trilogy - Jennifer Worth. Non-fiction. On the surface not much appeal but is actually so interesting - about East London in the 50's, poverty, life, the characters and the shadow of the workhouses. Recommend? Yes.
I'm too hung over to remember any more.
Miss you xxx
you are wonderful alice rose! I love the sound of both! and Alone in Berlin is available on kindle, even better.
ReplyDeleteDid you ever read Stasiland by Anna Funder? Or did I just keep promising to give it to you? If not, that is a goodie. x x
I never read stasiland! your promises didn't deliver, kitty. I will get a copy here because I could be waiting a lifetime if I wait for you (just kidding)! let me know if you liked alone in berlin. xxx
ReplyDelete