Melbourne is a united nations city for literature, whatever that means. What it means, in fact is that we have the wheeler centre(whose byline - books, writing and ideas - i've lauded before).They've a new calendar of events and these are my picks:
First up - Alex Miller (october 25). Alex miller, i heart you. Even if i am not 100% mad about your books.
2. is an event with Marieke Hardy (september 30) who I am in complete denial about liking because I secretly want to be her. We are not that dissimilar though... She describes herself as 'being born on or around the set of the sullivans' and I grew up in the street where the sullivans was filmed, just a smidgeon after filming finished (maybe, like a decade). Twins, eh? She is the 'why the long face?' one though*.
Numero 3 would be Paul Keating (6 November) but the bastard is booked out. Instead I commend you Tanveer Ahmen who'se talking about Occidentalism (13 October) which is sort of the opposite of Orientalism. Only caveat is Ahmen's is a lunchtime soap box which for us poor folk stuck in the 'burbs, makes it impossible to get to of a workday.
The rest you'll have to pick yourself.
Kitty
*meaning she was a long head, most of which is forehead. My forehead is in quite good proportion (for now, anyway).


No comments:
Post a Comment