Friday, September 9, 2011

thai top five

I'm back! Sad face mixed with happy face... All good things must come to an end/ nothing like your own bed/other things you say when you get back from a holiday ('I can't wait to make my own food').


Here are my highlights, no particular order.

1. 'Honeymooners'. Before we hit Bangkok for some serious shopping, we spent a last night at our Koh Samui mansion - heaven. Heaven+ because they put us in the honeymoon suite! Ooh la la! Towels sculpted into swans, rose petals on the bed and many wishes for a 'happy honeymoon' from passing staff... One couldn't help but think some poor newlyweds in a nearby room were really missing out.


















2. Samui Spa. On a recommendation from Tessa - who's blog is Carney's quintessential guide to Thailand - we went for dinner at the Samui Spa. This is a sort of luxury health retreat where people go to eat vegan/ raw/ gluten free/ candida-appropriate food and have massages and do yoga and go for walks, etc. It is extremely virtuous (colonic irrigation anyone?) and I would LOVE to spend a week or two there. Anyway, the food was AH.MAZ.ING. We distinguished ourselves by eating a ridiculous amount and feeling Christmas-full, which was actually a little unpleasant (and ironic given it was a fat farm). Anyway, I bought a DVD of recipes and now covet a dehydrator to re-create their amazing raw apple pie, which is one of my top five best desserts EVER. They also had a raw vegan pizza that kicked ass. I have no idea what it was made of. I think there were some flaxseeds in there.

3. Yoga on Koh Tao. Wake up, eat, read, yoga, that order, daily. Superlative, superlative. Could be life-changing.

4. Fish. Carney caught some big fish. One was a marlin. If you don't know about fish, this is impressive. If you are an anti-fishing-ite, block your eyes.  (Bad face photo for Carney but it shows the fish and i can't edit everything).
























And then we ate it - five different ways.
























5. Fireworks. Carney got some fireworks and the restaurant set them off for us while I made noises about it being dangerous and someone having their eye out. Glad no one listened to me, it was cool and no eyes were lost.









You will notice a glaring omission - where is the boozooka-firing-at-a-used-car? Well, we must have gone out of season because bazookas were uncommonly rare on Koh Tao. We did, however, find a shooting range. I would call their approach to security lax at best. The range consisted of a teenager, a desk and about eight massive guns sitting on the desk. I considered saying they should put them away - someone could have their eye out - but didn't, not wanting to offend being something of a consideration.

Kitty x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...