Friday, July 15, 2011

the joy of text

When my good friend Suse said she had free tickets to a play and asked did I want to go I was a little apprehensive. The last play we went to involved naked 70 year olds and was set in a nursing home masquerading as a snow storm. Wtf, you say? Yes, me too.

But I have forgiven her and last night we went along to see Robert Reid's The Joy of Text.

Well. Not since my parents took my ten year old self and two brothers to the Pumpkin Theatre Company's Murder on the Orient Express have I so enjoyed a play. And that might I add, was in large part due to an unmanned snack bar and a rather long interval.

The Joy of Text is about 1) a high school teacher-student sex scandal and 2) a book about a high school teacher-student sex scandal - it's sort of a plot re-creating a plot. It bills itself on the Melbourne Theatre Company website as a comedy which is a bit misleading because its not really funny as such but either way it is entertaining. And well acted, particularly 21 year old James Bell who plays the precocious, bratty and a little bit charming high school student Danny.

Anyway, it gets three and a half stars. Worth going to but you'll have to hurry, it shuts shop on the 23rd of the month.

Kitty

Picture credit: http://www.mtc.com.au/tickets/production.aspx?performanceNumber=3333

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...