Thursday, December 23, 2010

busy bees, the bees knees and other bee sayings

Carney believes in the magical powers of honey. I am bit dubious: a) I don't like honey and b) his winning argument is that his 90 year old Grandmother says honey is good for you. I'm not sure what exactly is the basis for her being an authority on matters of honey - I think it is because she is old.


Anyway, Carney loves honey. He purchased 28 kilos from a honeyman called Tony Bee in Eden while we were on our Honeymoon Mark 1. Tony Bee is apparently his real name; it is just luck (according to Carney) that he makes honey. The 28 kilos is long gone now; even if he gave half away that's about a kilo a month - an impressive feat (assuming you are impressed by the consumption of large amounts of honey... but then, who isn't?).


To sate his appetitie for proper non-heat treated honey, Carney and I went to a beekeeping workshop at CERES for his birthday. Here we learnt everything about making honey - from setting up a hive, to donning the bee hats and pulling out the honeycomb to producing jars of honey. It was pretty cool and people actually do this in the city - you can have a hive in your own backyard and some offices in the CBD even have them on their rooftops, quite amazing. Check us out:
















That hat was very hard to see out of - I can now see why, it is all twisted. I think that women is looking at me with awe, it's hard to discern in this exact photo, but she definitely was.


Kitty x

1 comment:

  1. When my ninety three year old Nana died, I was sorting out some food for my ninety five year old Grandpa and stumbled across three dozen eggs in 'the back fridge' - you know the one in the bungalow. I said to my Grandpa "Well, ok, I don't think I need to buy you any eggs." He says "Oh, it was one of your Nana's funny things. She cooked us two hard boiled eggs everyday of our marriage." I said "Well, maybe I should hard boil you some eggs to last a few days."

    "Nope - I can't stand them" says he.

    Three years later - he died. The eggs kept him going to 95 but after that it was all down hill....Old Wives Tail? I think not. You'd better start on the honey, Honey.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...