Saturday, January 9, 2010

On my soapbox: an unAustralian lament

I'm horrified that Channel 9 are bringing back Hey Hey its Saturday and not even because of the blackface skit in last year's reunion show. Isn't this a dead horse? Flogged for years before it finally (thankfully) rolled over and died. It's appalling, I should write a letter. It makes me feel a bit sick, actually. Not just because of Daryl Summers, but because it completely belies the talent that exists in the country. It's a travesty.

I felt the same sense of disappointment each time John Howard got re-elected. Or when I read the Herald Sun. Or when someone says cork hats, stubbies and sinking tinnies is quintessentially 'Australian'. I just think we're so much brighter and more interesting and modern than this. I not sure anyone outside of America would call themselves a patriot, but there are amazing, great things to celebrate here; Hey Hey is just not one of them.

Kitty x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...